A standard on stages throughout the world for years, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone offers a carefully tailored frequency rise at about 4,000 Hz for smooth as silk vocals that stand out in the mix. Long associated with its unmistakable sound and unsurpassed reliability, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone is widely considered the most popular mic in the world.
Designed for professional vocal use in sound reinforcement and studio recording, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone utilizes a highly effective, built-in, spherical filter that minimizes wind and breath pop noise while the cardioid pickup pattern isolates the main sound source and minimizes unwanted background noise. The tailored vocal response on the SM58 is a legendary tone that has become a world standard.
Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone Features
- Smooth, mid-frequency presence rise for world-famous SM58 Mic sound
- Uniform cardioid pickup pattern isolates the main sound source
- Minimizes background noise
- Pneumatic shock-mount system cuts down handling noise
- Rugged construction for extreme reliability in demanding applications
- Effective, built-in spherical wind and pop filter
- 50 to 15,000 Hz frequency response
- Supplied with break-resistant stand adapter which rotates 180 degrees
- Legendary Shure quality, ruggedness, and reliability
- Includes a mic stand adapter and a zippered storage pouch
When the sound source is less than 1/4 inch from the microphone, the microphone boosts bass frequencies (by 6 to 10 dB at 100 Hz), creating a warmer and richer bass sound than when farther away. This effect, known as proximity effect, happens only in unidirectional dynamic microphones like the Shure SM58 Vocal Mic. The low-frequency roll-off on the SM58 provides greater control, allowing the user to take full advantage of proximity effect.
Rugged construction, a proven shock mount system, and a steel mesh grille ensure that even with rough handling, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone will perform consistently. Outdoors or indoors, singing or speech, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone is the overwhelming choice of professionals worldwide.
Application and Placement
Ideal for close-up vocals, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Microphone can be held in the hand or mounted on a stand. Some of the most common applications and placement techniques are listed in the following table. Keep in mind that microphone technique is largely a matter of personal taste and that there is no one correct microphone position.
Lead and Backup Vocals
- Suggestd Microphone Placement: Lips less than 150 mm (6 in.) away or touching the windscreen, on axis to microphone.
Tone Quality: Robust sound, emphasized bass, maximum isolation from other sources.
Speech and Spoken Word
- Suggested Microphone Placement: 6 inches) to 2 feet away from mouth, just above nose height.
Tone Quality: Natural sound, reduced bass.
- Suggested Microphone Placement: 8 inches to 2 feet away from mouth, slightly off to one side.
Tone Quality: Natural sound, reduced bass and minimal ‘Sss’ sounds.
- Suggested Microphone Placement: 3 to 6 feet away.
Tone Quality: Thinner; distant sound; ambience.